Now: Home » About Tamsui

Kinoshita Jingyai

 Originally named Genji Shigeo, Kinoshita Jingyai was born in Nagano County, Japan in 1889 and died in 1988. From an early age he learned painting from Takeuchi Seiho, a painter of Kyoto school. In 1918 on his way to China via Taiwan, he went ashore to visit his good friend and stayed in Taiwan temporarily because his traveling companion caught an illness. During this period he went out sketching everywhere. His paintings were exhibited in Taipei and Hsinchu in 1921, 1923, 1925, and 1926.

In 1923 he respectfully presented crown prince Hirohito "Illustrations of Aboriginal Areas", which were appreciated by painters at that time. Therefore, he decided to stay in Taiwan to develop his career and settled in Tamsui, living in a "three-storey house". He also became one of Japanese painters who pushed forward the establishment of Taiwan Fine Art Exhibition (Taiwan Exhibition) when it was created in 1927.

Kinoshita Jingyai deeply influenced the development of Japanese painting of Taiwan. He not only served as judge of the exhibition held by governments in Taiwan, but also was the only Japanese teacher of Japanese painting who successively participated in official exhibitions from The First Taiwan Exhibition to The Tenth Taiwan Exhibition and from The First Government Exhibition to The Sixth Government Exhibition. He actively encouraged and assisted Taiwanese painters, asking them to take advantage of local color in Taiwan island in painting.

The former residence of Kinoshita Jingyai in Tamsui is located beside No. 12, Sanming Street. In 2011, according to the integrated planning for Tamsui Artistic Main Street, Tamsui District Office tidied up the surrounding overgrown with weeds and opened the residence as Kinoshita Jingyai Memorial Park, providing the masses with a place for repose and cultural life. In the park set up a stone tablet, on which there is a short sentence, "Good day, good day, still a good day". The residence was declared a historical building by New Taipei City Government in January, 2011. Cultural Affairs Department will continue carrying out relevant restoration planning.